Home > Home > Grants for Property Repairs and Maintenance

Grants for Property Repairs and Maintenance

By: Abigail Taylor - Updated: 4 Aug 2022 | comments*Discuss

From time to time, all properties need repairs or maintenance carrying out. This may be for safety reasons, aesthetic reasons, or to increase efficiency and so reduce costs. Unfortunately property repairs and maintenance are often costly. There are however various monetary schemes and grants available to assist.

Home Improvement Agencies Scheme

This is a Local Authority scheme that provides assistance for energy efficiency measures and immediate essential repairs. These could be any repairs from a need for loft insulation to a need to repair holes in floor boards.

To qualify for this scheme, the applicant must be a homeowner (which may include private landlords). Tenants may also be eligible if they are renting privately and have maintenance obligations under their tenancy agreement.

The scheme is not means tested. However Local Councils have a limited budget and so those with low incomes who are unable to repair an unsafe property are likely to be prioritised on a greatest need basis. Speak to your Local Council about whether they run this scheme in your area and your likelihood of acceptance. You can also find out from this list on the Housing Care.org website

Equity Release Scheme

This is another Local Authority scheme. However you must be aged 65 and over to qualify and the scheme will only consider applications in respect of essential repairs.

This scheme essentially works as an interest free loan, allowing you to borrow a small amount of money against your home. It allows you to essentially obtain a second mortgage, but not have to repay any money until your property is sold (which could be after your death).

This option does however come with a warning: if you still have a mortgage on your property, it is advisable to discuss the current equity in your home with a lawyer or your local Citizens Advice Bureau before pursuing applying for the scheme. This is because you will have to pay any shortfall to lenders if your property does not have enough equity upon sale.

Disabled Facilities Grant

If you are registered disabled, you can apply for a disabled facilities grant. This is a grant for facilities necessary to assist someone with a particular disability. It has previously been used to pay for items such as handrails, stair lifts and electric beds.

If you are disabled, speak to your Local Council about applying for this grant. Whilst it isn't directly designed for general property maintenance, the money could be used to assist a disabled person to make their property safe. For example if you have limited mobility and your wooden staircase is rotting and unsafe, the grant could be used to install a new staircase with safety rails which is necessary to keep you mobile. This is therefore an indirect way for a section of society to pay for the cost of urgently needed property repairs.

House Proud Scheme

This scheme gives out low cost loans to homeowners and tenants over the age of 55. The money borrowed is to be used specifically for property maintenance and renovation. As well as urgent repairs needed for safety reasons, this maintenance could also include energy efficiency measures such as installing loft and cavity wall insulation and double glazed windows.

This is a loan and so the scheme will have to consider credit ratings to establish the risk involved in lending. However for those with a low income about to enter retirement, this is a much better option than taking out a bank loan to pay for property repairs, as the interest rates are considerably lower than the national lenders average.

Energy Efficiency Grants

For property repairs such as replacing old windows with new double glazing, there are a number of other energy efficiency grants available privately through large energy companies.

Following the government's Green Deal programme, large energy companies were obliged to offer grants and incentives to assist people to install energy saving measures. This can be as small as a water company providing free water saving devices such as tap inserts to reduce the flow of water by up to 70%. However some companies also offer incentives such as a fixed lower rate for those installing energy saving measures, so that the cost is recovered over a period of time in savings on your bills. Whilst this is not a direct way of getting assistance with property maintenance, it can help those struggling to pay the cost of repairs by lowering other monthly outgoings. There is information about to how to talk to a green deal assessor on the government's website.

There are a number of monetary assistance programmes and grants available through your local government and private schemes to assist homeowners and private tenants with the cost of property maintenance and repairs. Local Government Schemes often only run for a short period of time. However new schemes are regularly introduced so it is important to speak to your Local Council if you require assistance. Your local Citizens Advice Bureau may also be able to provide you with advice about options available to you and to fill in any applications.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
hello my names Angelal am disabledand my husbond is very ill with epilepsyand heart problemsand on benifitswe live in a bungalowand we have had to borrow money fromthe council todo a lot of repairsin the past and we owe 15 000 this will be paid back when we sell or diewe have no savings and are really strugglingwe have a problem that has been checked and our electric is not earthedanddangerous and needs a compleat rewireing through outhalf the electrics and sockets dont workwe carnt borrow for these works to be donebecause our credit is lowand the council only lend a minimum amount and for some reason my electric is sky high we spend at least 80 a week on electric alonethen gaswe are at our wits endjust dont know where to turn we were told we need the electrics done asp its very dangerous and old and on 3 circuitsthis scares us to death thst it could at any time start a fireplease if theres any one that has a good heart out there that can help us please get in touchthis would be amazingwouldntbe thankfull enough .
big al - 4-Aug-22 @ 11:00 PM
Hi I have a collapsed sewer line and it's now flooding my downstairs of my house with raw sewage I want to call the relevant people out but as I am on universal credit and only get £305 every 4 weeks I can't afford to pay for any major work that needs to be carried out I'm at the point now where its getting beyond my control and need help urgently
Dth1981 - 29-Jul-22 @ 5:45 AM
I have no money builder have lift in bad state no kitchen
Ozzie - 28-Oct-21 @ 9:05 AM
My flat felt garage roof needs replacing as leaked but the roofer who has looked says firstly all the wood gaining inside garage needs replaced and I will never be able to afford this as live alone age 63 on ESA and PIP,IS there any help available for me
Bailey - 12-Oct-21 @ 2:16 PM
Due to being on income based ESA and 2 small pensions I am unable to afford an electrical repair to a severed cable in the ceiling of my lounge. Please can you help me.The Council doesn’t have a repair scheme.
Clarkey - 18-Sep-21 @ 11:33 AM
Good morning. I have just been told that all the water pipes leading into my property are made of lead. I would like to know if there are any grants available to me. Thanks
Jacky - 3-Sep-21 @ 11:29 AM
my name is Joanna, i am on Universal Credit & i only get £400 a month coming in, i was on PIP but i have had it stopped unfairly. A lady called Miriam Wilkinson from Stockport Council who i am currently involved with has told me about you and has said you may be able to help, please could someone get back to me asap.
Joanna - 5-Aug-21 @ 5:25 PM
Hello. I am 71 years of age and single. I am struggling with two garage doors to my property tht are in a bad state. The back garage door, is an up and over door and it has rollers. When I open the door up and over it does not stay in position and slides back down again. I have hit my head on it a couple of times, so now I wedge a screwdriver inthe side to hold it up. Of course this is dangerious, I understand that, but I just cannot afford to have it repaired or the garage doors replace, as I am on state pension and guaranteed pension credit. I was wondering, can I get a grant for this. I also have a letter from my doctor, because I have epilepsy and I have a herniated disc and scolliosis, which causes a lot of pain. Kas..
Kas - 27-Jul-21 @ 7:14 PM
I need a chimney repair, Re-rendered, possibly damp proof. With low income less than £25K will I qualify?
Jord - 15-May-21 @ 7:28 PM
I currently live on my houseboat, but now need to have the deck repaired as it has been leaking to the inside for some time. My finances are poor at this time and I receive guaranteed pension credit and dla as I have been registered disabled for over 10 years. My health at this time is preventing me from carrying out the needed repairs (fibreglass the complete deck around the upperside of my boat to strengthen and waterproof this part of the boats structure). I have been able to purchase the materials required to undertake the repairs, but cannot personally undertake the physical work required to complete the work. I need to pay labour costs and need a grant to help resolve this problem.
Rob - 16-Mar-21 @ 6:42 PM
I have an historical home and I have been trying to find grant to help me restore the home I need some help please
Jones - 3-Mar-21 @ 4:16 PM
I built my house in 1985 At that time we put in Aluminium windows now they are perished and leaking water. The roof is slated and now it is leaking all over. Please advise me on what help is available for me to get my house repaired.
Lar - 21-Feb-21 @ 10:00 AM
Need home repairs, but I'm disabled and have low income.
Terri - 20-Feb-21 @ 6:03 PM
Due to cov 19 I was made redundant last year I had solar pannels put on the roof via a Welsh office grant now my roof is lecking so I had a independent survaer he has told me the roof needs to replaced were can I see if I can help for it I am now on ESA and classed disabled
Chris - 17-Feb-21 @ 8:22 PM
I live with my elderly mom in law and my disabled boyfriend. Hes fighting for his disability. Our house is falling apart. There's no money or help to fix it. The kitchen floor needs fixed. The fridge and washer are leaving forward. There's a huge hole where the floor is coming apart. The bathroom has a huge hole behind toilet. The roof is falling in the bathtub. We have no gas because of a leak. We need hel
Kee - 15-Feb-21 @ 10:41 PM
I am visualy impaired and have low income and I have cracks on my in side walls and one side of my be ls room flool as come away from the wallhow can I get to pay for repairsasap
Sam - 12-Feb-21 @ 2:54 AM
Hi I have noticed dampness coming through in my house. I still have concrete gutters that aren’t helping but am on a very Lowe income. Would I be entitle to any grant? It is my own property
Sue - 10-Feb-21 @ 4:03 PM
A relative is living with no gas or electricity due to needing rewriting. She’s unable to fund this. Light switches are arcing, frightening her.
Joan - 28-Jan-21 @ 10:11 PM
My roof is so dangerous its leaking nd near electricity, I have appliedforagrantand I have heard nothing ,please can someone just email, so I know who to ring or email thanku My husband is on full Disabilitythis is becauseheis coming into his13th year withParkinsons
Tine - 18-Jan-21 @ 2:25 PM
My roof is so dangerous its leaking nd near electricity, I have appliedforagrantand I have heard nothing ,please can someone just email, so I know who to ring or email thanku
Tine - 18-Jan-21 @ 2:22 PM
My roof is about to collapse i have flat roofthat leaks down walls causing extreme damp affecting electrics as most not working and making me ill.The hose is also cold with damp and condensation extreme I need urgent help for replacing flat roof to house and garage and rewiring of house please can you help me
Rosey - 11-Jan-21 @ 2:24 PM
I am on Income based ESA and 2 small pensions and have double glazed windows with broken seals causing dampness abd condensation in my lounge and kitchen. The seals need replacing but I am unable to afford the repair work.I live in a 3rd floor 1 bedroomed flat which I own and I live alone. Can you please advise me what help I am entitled to please. Sefton Council no longer offer the Help Repair Scheme due to cut backs.
Clarkey - 30-Nov-20 @ 12:45 PM
im on pension credit iv just had a builder look at my leaky roof and it needs complete re felting can i get any help with the cost
maddybear - 14-Nov-20 @ 3:55 PM
I am 67 yrs old ,disabled and recieving pension credit. I live alone and have no savings.. My roof is in a state of disrepair, over 50 yrs Old .it leaks and I have had mushrooms on my landing ceiling.i should be able to replace it for under £4000. I dont know who to turn to for help..
P - 2-Nov-20 @ 11:25 AM
I am 67 years old retired and live with my wife, living in our house (on mortgage) An old chimney on top of our kitchen need serious repair and can fall any minute. if falls,it will fall on top of the kitchen ceiling and it very dangerous to us. I have no money to do this repair. How can we get some government grant or loan. Desperate to fix this. Please help.
MJ - 1-Nov-20 @ 10:51 PM
Hi do you do grants to repair drive ways my sonis special needs and keeps tripping up on my drive it’s cracked and small holes.
Lisa g - 16-Oct-20 @ 3:39 PM
Hi can iget a grant towards a rerooff as my roof is not felted and i have had to keep paying £60. Every time roof tiles slip and rains in due to not being felted one roofer said he would not repair it as i need felted reroof done
Fred - 16-Oct-20 @ 1:37 PM
I live with my son I am onbenefits as l got COPD l got draft coming thrown my window and front door can l get any help to make my house warm.its my own house and l don't have enough money to pay for the draft to stop comei g in is their any help for me l also got mental health team as l got pdsb
Mon - 8-Oct-20 @ 4:59 PM
Hi, I have a neurological disa ility type 2 diabetes, non alcoholic liver disease,and issues with breathlessness.. I recieve PIP, and have a car through motability. Could I claim a geant tohelp make a eriveway,
Gagy - 5-Oct-20 @ 10:12 PM
Hi, I have a leak coming in my bedroom and bathroom and believe my roof needs fixing. Can I get some sort of grant for this?
E - 4-Oct-20 @ 1:27 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments