Home > Property > Getting a Renovation Grant

Getting a Renovation Grant

By: Jennifer Lowe - Updated: 24 Oct 2020 | comments*Discuss
Renovation Grant Financial Help For Home

Please note, grants for renovations have been cut back in recent years and not all local authorities will be able to offer them, even if you fit the eligibility criteria.

Buying a house is possibly one of the most expensive purchases you will ever make and buying a property at a cheaper price because it needs renovating can prove even more costly, particularly in today’s climate.

Gone are the days when you could purchase a derelict building transform it into a palace and make millions in profits when you sell up.

However, most local councils now offer grants to help with the costs associated with renovating a property.

Renovation grants were introduced to provide financial assistance towards substantial repairs or improvements that need to be made to a property to make it fit for human habitation.

Homeowners, landlords and, in some cases, tenants, have access to a renovation grant, but they do come with very strict guidelines.

Granting Eligibility

These grants are provided at the discretion of your local authority and are means-tested. This basically means that the amount you will receive is dependent on your income, so the more you earn the less the grant will be.

There is, however, a maximum amount that can be awarded and this is £20,000 for owner-occupiers and tenants and between £10,000 and £15,000 per unit for landlords, although, this is dependent on the landlords overall plan of letting of the property.

To be eligible for the grant, the property itself must have been built more than 10 years ago, can’t be a second or holiday home and, in the case of owner-occupier applications, it has to have been occupied by you for at least three years before you make the initial grant request.

There are also some conditions to the grants being offered which have to be adhered to for 10 years by owner-occupiers and five years for landlords.

If the conditions are breached at any point during this time then the grant must be repaid to the council that awarded it. This also applies if the property is sold within the condition period.

Work in Progress

Renovations that qualify for a grant are, basically, those that are needed to improve the property up to the Decent Homes standard. This can include improvements such as damp proofing, re-roofing, the replacement of windows and doors or improving insulation and heating.

When you apply to your local authority for a renovation grant, you will need to provide them with some additional details. These include, two itemised estimates for the work that you wish to carry out, plans and specs if they are necessary and a deed of agreement document.

When drawing up your plans and working out the costs involved in the project, you must always get quotes from at least three places, this way the local authority will be able to make an informed decision based on an average project cost.

This information will then be supported by an application form that you can get directly from your local authority.

If you need any form of consent, whether it be planning permission, building regulation approval or listed building consent, then you must have approval from the relevant bodies before making an application for the renovation grant.

The main thing that you must remember is that the renovation grant will not be awarded for any work that has already been started on a property, so make this your first stop!

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
I claim high rate pip and universal credit iam on cancer treatment is there any grants to replace my roof.
Tony - 24-Oct-20 @ 4:30 PM
2 years ago I suffered a fall from height which ended my working life leaving me in a neck collar for almost 6 months and resulted in an inability to lift, stand and bend without considerable pain. OT recommended alterations' to bathroom and Kitchen. We have been able to pay for Bathroom adaptation from own resources and have a small sum left to modify our 30 year old Kitchen, However as a pensioner I have been turned down for improvement loans to fund balance due to income. We have estimates for the kitchen work of around £6000 fitted. Are there any grant sources that would help with the shortfall to enable kitchen alterations to go ahead? Even a conditional grant that requires repaying in the future? Hope someone can help.
Paul - 22-Oct-20 @ 9:54 AM
We are on benefits and our bedroom ceiling collapsed and the bay window and damage the radiator is there any grants available thank you
Jade - 19-Oct-20 @ 8:52 PM
We are on benefits and our bedroom ceiling has collapsed the bay window and damaged the radiator is there any grants available to help please thank you
Jade - 19-Oct-20 @ 8:50 PM
I have had to demolish a retail unit and 1 bedroom apartment above due to previous fire damage many years ago. This has cost me over 20,000 to demolish and I’m in debt . I got no help from local council to demolish at all even though we were in covid. I need help to rebuild and put this to use . I’m a working person with a normal living wage. I’m on universal credits also due to cutbacks at workplace.
Zubaida - 19-Oct-20 @ 3:38 PM
I'm asking for help to buy materials to fix the trailer I reside in. It is real bad. The floor is so bad that I can see the ground. And the roof leaks so bad that I have black brown and green mold. Two mushrooms have grew I in the kitchen up through the floor. If anyone reads this and can help me it would be well appreciated. And I would be willing to work for the help.please and thank you
Krista - 16-Oct-20 @ 7:09 PM
I been in my home over 20 years an need a lot of work done to it for the winter , dealing with water leaks roof leaks mold an more ! Need some help getting my house back to standard! Hope you can consider helping me , I would be truly grateful! Thanks in advance!
Cari - 14-Oct-20 @ 12:47 AM
Im on pip and have severalillnesses my roof needs replacing and windows also need replacing due yo draughts and missing seals Is any help available. If you could kindly let me know as i am extremelystressed out as it is affectingmy health. Thankyou
Nuru - 13-Oct-20 @ 4:15 PM
Need grant to update 5 flats in sheffield
Sunny - 13-Oct-20 @ 2:41 PM
My home built in 1994 had a leak in the bathroom that the builder finally repaired after 2 attempts it caused the bathroom ceiling to fall in the dry wall and it was water that leak into the bathroom and insulation. Wesmellmold all the time. The first winter the furnace went out. We had it repaired when Ireach amana they said thdy had problems with the installer and he wasn't allowed to install their product a few years later i worked 80 hours for 9 months to replace the whole unit that was totally broken. After it being looked at the floor in the bathroom and funace closet is rotten and moldy as well as insulation in attic. My furnace is going out they are hoping it makes it through the winter. Myself am not 35 any more and can't work 80 hours. My house is through FHA are CV their grants or loans that may qualify for a loan or grant for heating,insulation, floor rot,and windows. Thank you, LoriMoore
Lori - 12-Oct-20 @ 5:20 PM
I just move into new property. The flat needs renovation like new flooring and renovation walls. There are any funding or grants to bring property to living standards. Thank you
Katerina - 11-Oct-20 @ 9:49 AM
Hi- l need a few new windows and want a lean to type extention as my.kitchen is very small.Electrics need some work too. Can I get a grant and can that grant help pay an architect for planning and building regs? And what happens if we want to.do the building work for the extention ourselves?
Deb - 9-Oct-20 @ 12:04 AM
I bought my council house 1991 built 1944 it has an asbestos roof that is leaking. I can not repair due to laws past in 1990 s. I cannot afford it to be replaced on pip and u/credit it has started to get dam patches. What can i do is there a grant could help . Lily
Lily - 8-Oct-20 @ 10:17 AM
Hi I have my mortgage house and it made 1901.I have two young children and one is special need.I have a leak in my roof and Ceilingsdamaged And starting to dust come out.Leaking bathroom and falling down kitchen.what kind help we can get?
Shani - 7-Oct-20 @ 7:13 AM
My house is over 120 Year old .I bought this last year.it needs roof,windows replaced.is there any help I can get? Thanks
Makhan - 6-Oct-20 @ 1:31 PM
I'm in Milton Keynes in a 3 storey flat roofed mid terrace. I've just had a partial ceiling collapse and wondered if there were any grants available tocover the cost of repairs or replacement. thank you.
Nan - 5-Oct-20 @ 2:02 PM
Am i eligable for any help with house renovation. My kitchen is falling apart..
ashi - 4-Oct-20 @ 9:40 PM
My house was built in 1972 I moved in in 1980 my AC was not working well my electric bill is over $1,000 now it is totally broken I recently had a heart attack could not work but now I'm back my grandson also lives with me I am seeking help I need a Grant
Chuy - 22-Sep-20 @ 7:21 PM
My was built in 1972 I've been here since 1980 my AC was not working my electric bill is over a thousand four hundred it went out completely I live in the state of Arizona so it's unbearable I recently had a heart attack I am 64 years old and I am desperately looking for a grant my grandchild also lives with me
Chuy - 22-Sep-20 @ 7:17 PM
My home was built in 1972 I am in desperate need of a heating and cooling AC I just had a heart attack don't have the funds to buy one i am 64
Chuy - 22-Sep-20 @ 7:13 PM
My roof leaks my floors need Water leaks in my window I need help
Joy - 17-Sep-20 @ 8:23 PM
My home is 70 years old and I have lived there for the past 15 years. I am need of various help throughout home such as insulation, rewiring of electrical wires and new breaker box, foundation, and windows to name a few
Nikki - 17-Sep-20 @ 5:21 PM
Good evening, Im enquiring about a potential grant on behalf of my Dad who is aged 92 and is in desperate need of structural work to the outside of his home. Any help and advice on this matter is very much appreciated. Regards Gill McGee
Gilly - 17-Sep-20 @ 4:59 PM
Hi. My house is over 100 years old and there is water leakage and dampcoming into the house. We are currently on working tax and Child tax credits so I wondered if there is any help available to repair or replace my roof. Many thanks
Ash - 16-Sep-20 @ 11:45 AM
Hi our house is 35 plus years old our roof is needing replaced as rain is coming in a few bits on the roof and needs replacedbefore the winter is here I am wondering if you could please let me know if I would be able to get a government grant
FiFi - 15-Sep-20 @ 12:43 PM
I need to replace the original roof on my home the house was built in 1896 and it has lasted well but the problems are very serious now and water finds its way into the house.I hope I can get a grant to help with the cost of renew it.
Neens - 14-Sep-20 @ 4:02 PM
Our house is 100 years old and now we need a grant so we can do our house up the outside of our house needs renovate so we can fix our propertywill the council grant us with a funded grant as my dad is on pension credit and I am or have applied for universal creditI will hope to get good news from the council
Afro - 31-Aug-20 @ 8:56 PM
I have live at 15 Whitburn Avenue Manchester M13 0UR for a 11 years that was the last time I had a grant my cooker is making a whistling sound And keeps going off my small Fridge and freezer is both leaking I claim for my sonmylie griffithshe is in Openshaw College Manchester 29/09/2002 my daughter Elizabeth Gallagherworks Part time in Iceland My National insurance number is NS620912C and my phone number is 07776 107296 thankyou
Nora - 31-Aug-20 @ 4:54 PM
I have a diagnosis of COPD and asthma, our home is terribly damp with mould spores (that's my allergy too which exacerbates my condition) I am in need of roof repairs or replacement, damp issues to sort and window hinges to be repaired or windows replaced. The damp is literally killing me.
Charlie - 29-Aug-20 @ 1:58 PM
Im trying to find out if i can get a grant to do the house up. Its ex council house i have owned it about nearly 20 yrs. it needs new plaster all throughout house and new electrics probely not been rewired since being built in the 50s, Roof needs doing also and bath room needs sorting, im on low wage married so cannot afford to get it done. Thanks Paul.
OAK1 - 28-Aug-20 @ 3:12 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • RIO
    Re: What Is a Grant?
    Hello, I am also thinking about business so if you could help me out, I have a few ideas in mind. Regards
    25 October 2020
  • RIO
    Re: What Is a Grant?
    Hello, I am looking for grant to help me pay bills and to pay for essential items. This pandemic has got me struggling and would appreciate help.…
    25 October 2020
  • Tony
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    I claim high rate pip and universal credit iam on cancer treatment is there any grants to replace my roof.
    24 October 2020
  • Millie
    Re: Attracting a Grant to Fund Your Sports Club
    Hi, To get back to netball meeting the covid 19 new rules and restrictions, we are looking for a fund of £350…
    23 October 2020
  • Paul
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    2 years ago I suffered a fall from height which ended my working life leaving me in a neck collar for almost 6 months and resulted in…
    22 October 2020
  • Rambo
    Re: Qualifying for the Rural Enterprise Scheme (RES)
    Are there grants available to convert old farm buildings to holiday let’s?
    21 October 2020
  • Jade
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    We are on benefits and our bedroom ceiling collapsed and the bay window and damage the radiator is there any grants available thank you
    19 October 2020
  • Jade
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    We are on benefits and our bedroom ceiling has collapsed the bay window and damaged the radiator is there any grants available to…
    19 October 2020
  • Zubaida
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    I have had to demolish a retail unit and 1 bedroom apartment above due to previous fire damage many years ago. This has cost me over…
    19 October 2020
  • Mariaholt92
    Re: Family Action Grants to Help Those in Need
    Hi I suffer from really bad depression and anxiety I have a 2 year old daughter and also my partner who suffers…
    17 October 2020