Home > Property > Grants for Adapting Your Property Due to Disability

Grants for Adapting Your Property Due to Disability

By: Jennifer Lowe - Updated: 18 Mar 2021 | comments*Discuss
Disabled Child Grant For Disabled Person

Disabled Facilities Grants are available from local councils to help pay for necessary adaptations to your home.Formed by the government, this grant enables disabled people to adapt their home so that they can continue to live there.

You can apply for a Disabled Facilities grant if yourself, or someone else living in your home, is disabled, one of you either owns or is a tenant of, the property and you can certify that you, or the person who you are applying for, will occupy the property for five years.

If you are a landlord and have a disabled tenant, you can also apply for the grant to adapt the property for their use.

Putting the Money to Work

These grants are provided by your local council and can be used to adapt your property in order to give the disabled resident freedom of movement in and around the home.This could include work such as the widening of doors, installing ramps, installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom.There is also the option to use the grant to improve facilities in the home, such as the heating system or lighting controls.

Put the Wheels in Motion

The first step in the process is to request that an occupational therapist come out and assess your home. This will provide you with a better idea of what adaptations you will require.Then you can start the application process. Firstly, you need to contact your local council – specifically the housing or environmental health department.

It is important to bear in mind that your application won’t be accepted if you have already started carrying out the work on your property, but the council are under obligation to notify you of the outcome of your application within six months.

The Price is Right

Like many other grants offered by local councils, the Disabled Facilities Grant is means-tested – based on an assessment of your financial situation.Basically, the council will look at your weekly income and essential outgoings, such as rent or mortgage payments and personal expenditure, to determine what level of the grant you will need. They also take into account your savings, which if above a certain level can have an impact on the amount you will receive.

However, if you are applying because you have a disabled child under the age of 19, then there is no need for means-testing and you will receive the full amount.If you are married, or have a partner, the council will assess your combined income, but the first £6,000 of any savings you might have is ignored.

The maximum grant amount available is £25,000 for applications in England and Northern Ireland and £30,000 in Wales.


With any building work, especially if external changes are being made, planning permission or buildings regulation approval may be required. This is not included in the application for the grant and you will have to apply separately to gain any approval you might need before you start the work.

Once you have received the grant, the council can also request that you employ a qualified individual, such as an architect or a surveyor, to make sure that the work is carried out appropriately, but you can use a portion of the grant to pay for this.

How to Appeal

If you have been refused a Disability Facilities Grant by your local council don’t panic just yet, you can appeal. Each local council has an appeals and complaints procedure.If this isn’t effective, you do have the option of registering a complaint with the Local Government Ombudsman.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hello, Is there any financial help for upgrading my en-suite please Needs new shower,the step into shower is too high I had a knee operation 6 years ago and I now have arthritis also the toilet is too low. I do have a disability badge for the car. Many thanks Toni Barker
Toni - 18-Mar-21 @ 2:23 PM
I have received a grant and had a wet room fitted, now I need my kitchen doing can I use the remainder of the grant to complete this work or do I have to apply again
Auntydaren - 29-Oct-20 @ 8:56 PM
Have 2 disable children. Just been allocated to a property that needs proper work. Omg the state of it, it will take more than a lick of paint to get it clean, and renovated. I need help. Get pip for only one child. I was wondering if I could get a grant for the repairs and renovations for the property. As I’m ill myself to.
Flo - 26-Oct-20 @ 10:35 PM
I’m trying to get a grant from Rotherham council for my two children but there just slow
Pgar - 7-Oct-20 @ 4:58 PM
Just wondering, if I would be entitled to a grant for another toilet to be put in ,theres me my partner and my son living here ,we share 1 toilet that's in my bathroom, it's getting very difficult to use the toilet when needed by all 3 of us ,as I have IBS and my partner suffers with inflammation of the bowels which makes him bleed quite alot ,so when he needs the toilet he really does ,where do I go from here ,who do I get in touch with thankyou
Queenielisa - 25-Sep-20 @ 12:04 AM
Reading the comments it shows how f'kd the system is, people with genuine physical illnesses who struggle to walk etc are on basic rate for PIP just want an extra toilet room or home adaptions to help them, yet someone (Richard) who has as far as I can see a mental illness gets higher rate for PIP wants a conservatory adding.... for no reason at all other than it will add value to his property whilst the government pay for it. Whilst I appreciate mental illness is an actual illness (but most cant be proven), it seems like many people just abuse the system for financial gain which in turn over stretches the system where they then need to be a lot more harsh on PIP assessments to people who genuinely need the support and help.
On PIP - 22-Sep-20 @ 1:43 PM
My husband had surgery, he was diagnosed with a brain Tumour which has left him with mobility problems and fatigue. I also have had problems in the past couple of years I hadvery bad sciaticaWhich left me with a my wright foottrip hazards, I am also waiting on knee replacement on both knees. I suffer from anxiety and depression. Weare looking to have stairsfrom our bedroom out to the garden. 7/9/20
Summer - 10-Sep-20 @ 4:11 PM
Does the work have to be done by company sent by council . A much bigger job is being quoted for than I actually need. Can I get my own quoted from other companies if this will be a lot cheaper. Will the council agree to this if the quote is for a much smaller job which was my original request.
Deltalady - 4-Sep-20 @ 4:43 PM
My boys are grown up am one bedroom short my son sleeps in my room sometimes on single which dosent leave me much room....am on pip and have mental health issues and other health issues can I get a garnt for extra bedroom
Jasmin - 27-Aug-20 @ 9:47 PM
Am on pip advance rate I am not being able to do do my normal life am starting to get more and more depressed with my life
Ali - 27-Aug-20 @ 5:00 PM
What help can I get am on pip advance rate
Ali - 27-Aug-20 @ 4:57 PM
Hello, I was wondering if I was able to get a grant for an extention on a 2 property council house. I have hip dysplasia and problems with my knees and ankles I am unable to walk or sit for long i also have two children 7 and 1
cath - 24-Jul-20 @ 9:37 PM
How do I go about applying for a grant in Scotland, for a downstairs loo
Susan Kirkpatrick - 23-Jul-20 @ 3:34 PM
Hello i get highest care and mobikity on pip and sever premium on esa. I need to see if i can get a grant or help. Im in a counvil house and my kitchen is falling apart ive already injured me self multiple times door falling off ive had major opperations and need a new kitchen that is sutable for me self as one i have is dangerous and i just dont seem to get any where with council can some one please help. Ive already had to pay and get my bathroom converted into a wet room myself now i cant afford it now i need help is there any one to help. Im constantly on loads nedication and morphine its all distressing
Matilda - 20-May-20 @ 6:52 AM
Can I get a toilet fitted upstairs? I have trouble getting downstairs to go to the toilet downstairs
Sparky - 15-May-20 @ 2:52 PM
I have no toilet upstairs, I have hip problems and find it hard coming downstairs at night to go to the toilet Can I get help to fit one upstairs? Ann
Sparky - 15-May-20 @ 2:49 PM
Richard you absolutely disgust me trying to abuse the system. Hope to god they see through you
Luco - 31-Mar-20 @ 10:53 PM
I'm disabled get high rate pip care allowancemobility both high rate I'm sufferingto get around especiallyupstairs Can I apply for a grant to build a bedroomensuite downstairs if so what's my first steps
A - 25-Mar-20 @ 9:47 PM
I have a 17 yr old son who gets both high rate on pip we are in need of a toilet and shower up stairs as he has difficulty getting downstairs and getting in and out the bath is there anywhere we can get help we are based in Nottingham and have a mortgage many thanks
Tony - 18-Mar-20 @ 8:54 AM
Im Just checking if I get help with part of my roof . As the wind had blown some roofs Tiles. I’m 82 and I had a stroke and hematoma in my neck last year left me I’ll. my daughter looks after me. I own my property
Harris - 29-Feb-20 @ 11:57 AM
Lloyd is this answer to mebecause I don't understand it....thanks
Richard - 27-Jan-20 @ 6:56 AM
I'm mentally and physically ill with bipolar and duel dual personality disorder.... do you think i would get a grant for a conservatory...which would help my disorder greatly get enhanced pip for mobility and every day living...thank tou
Richard - 27-Jan-20 @ 6:37 AM
I'm mentally and physically ill bipolar and split personality disorder....do you think I would be eligible for a grant for a conservatory which would help my disorder greatly..I receive high rate pip for mobility and every day living...thank you
Richard - 27-Jan-20 @ 6:34 AM
I'm mentally and physically ill with bipolar and duel dual personality disorder.... do you think i would get a grant for a conservatory...which would help my disorder greatlythank you
Richard - 27-Jan-20 @ 6:25 AM
I work for a local authority dealing with Disabled Facilities Grant. There are several major mistakes within this article. Anyone reading this article should contact their local authority to discuss an adaptation and the application process.
Lloyd - 13-Nov-19 @ 10:58 AM
ASAIKD - 21-Oct-19 @ 2:01 PM
I am so shocked by the number of people in similar situations to myself. Chells44, she could have written my narrative, we are so akin. But what I cannot view is the advice given. I would like to know what you as Experts are advising we do. I have been applying for a Disabled Facility Grant from my Landlord who is the local authority for more than 6yrs now.... what they do is partially approve, but then nothing happens, when I ask about the fundamental part of my applicaton, the absolute necessity for a Downstairs bathroom, and the open plan layout of my downstairs so I can more easily negotiate the space...I hear nothing. I do not have a hot meal unless someone else makes it for me, as I predominately live alone. There are times when I do not get out the house for weeks. I have bladder & bowel accidents, which at my age is not only psychologically debilitating but practically I am unable to clean up the accidents when they occur. I am asking for a brand new property I am asking for the reasonable adjustments reflective of my condition that I am entitled to within the criteria. I would be enormously grateful if you could advice me on the way forward. Regards B
BevD - 15-Oct-19 @ 2:27 AM
Hi I have a son with Down syndrome n is now 2 but isn't walking I carry him up n down stairs n he's very heavy to carry. He's on oxygen and feeding tube. I have a daughter who is 11 n has knee problem n has been suffering for last 2 years now needs op which will leave her with mobility problems in getting around the house as she will need to wear a braise on her leg n kept straight. I live in a council incommunities home do I qualify for extra help e.g. Extentions got extra room as I'm in a 3 bedroom n have 5 children. A wet room downstairs? As I have a toilet downstairs but not a wet room. Please advise.
Sai - 14-Oct-19 @ 2:28 PM
Hi, could you let me know, if you are in receipt of a disabled facilities grant in Wales, if the amount of time you must live in your property is also 5 years in Wales, as in England?Also, has the length of time you must reside in the property always been 5 years or has it changed in, say, the last 6 or 7 years.Lastly, if it has changed, been reduced for example, whether you can sell or rent the property without repercussion?Thank you so much, your help is hugely appreciated.
Pip - 14-Oct-19 @ 1:49 AM
Hi I'm disabled and wondered if there is help to widen and renew my yard door, I can just get scooter in and out but if I misjudge the loose bricks come down and worry I'm going to be hit, any advice please
Jo - 2-Oct-19 @ 2:12 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Cossie
    Re: Grants for Farmers
    Hi, Am looking for an agricultural grant to fund my business idea in farming.
    16 April 2021
  • J.bakes
    Re: Qualifying for the Rural Enterprise Scheme (RES)
    I have some old outbuildings I would like to convert into storage and a kitchen to run a baking/…
    16 April 2021
  • N/a
    Re: Getting Help with Funding for School Trips
    My son Freddy Harbach (10) has been invited to a Norfolk trip ( £375 ) and we can’t afford it . I’m on pension…
    14 April 2021
  • Namnam
    Re: Grants for Farmers
    I need a grant for putting an electric fence round my farm. 2 vehicles to help me with my business and a cold room
    12 April 2021
  • Jamee
    Re: Grants for Farmers
    I am a poor country boy in the mountains of North carolina just looking to make a future for my family in farming I've found a few farms I…
    10 April 2021
  • Thandie
    Re: Grants for Farmers
    hi I'm a young south African citizen who is enthusiastic about life i just embark on farming business as i am already have some 21 Goats, 23…
    10 April 2021
  • Snooksie
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    Good evening: thank you for taking the time to read my request. I am 83 & my husband is 84, for years and years my husband was the…
    10 April 2021
  • Snooksie
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    Good evening: thank you for taking the time to read my request. I am 83 & my husband is 84, for years and years my husband was the…
    10 April 2021
  • AHMED O. A.
    Re: Grants for Farmers
    I need grant to farm sesame seed in northern Nigeria
    9 April 2021
  • Sel
    Re: Construction Industry Grants
    Hey everyone. I found myself in a tricky position due to covid 19 and my private business too so i'm now doing a painting…
    9 April 2021