Home > Ask Our Experts > Get help with Wheelchair Purchase

Get help with Wheelchair Purchase

By: Kevin Watson MSc - Updated: 18 Apr 2021 | comments*Discuss
Wheelchair; Funding; Mobility;


Is there any way I can get help with a manual wheelchair as my husband is disabled and we already get a car from motobility?

(F.I, 5 February 2009)


You may well be able to obtain help buying a wheelchair using one or more of the following UK schemes.

The Wheelchair Service

The first scheme to contact is the NHS Wheelchair Service run by your health authority. There are no standard criteria – these vary between authorities – but the general principles are the same.

You attend a local Wheelchair Service. Here an occupational therapist or someone similarly qualified assesses your disability and your needs. You also have the chance to talk about funding options, training, and maintenance and repair.

Funding depends on factors decided by each health authority. Ask your local NHS Wheelchair Service for more details.

Voucher Scheme

Some Wheelchair Services run a voucher scheme. Following your assessment, the Wheelchair Service may offer you a standard wheelchair free. Alternatively, the Service may give you a voucher. You can use this as part payment for a more expensive wheelchair supplied by an approved retailer.

With this option, repairs and maintenance are free. You can also use the voucher as part payment for a wheelchair at an independent supplier, but then you’re responsible for at least some of the repair and maintenance costs.

Each voucher lasts for five years. After this time, you can receive a further voucher unless your needs have changed in the meantime.


If you’re unable, or virtually unable, to walk, you may be eligible to receive mobility payments. These form part of disability living allowance (DLA). To apply for DLA, contact the Department for Work and Pensions.

Once you receive the higher rate mobility component of DLA (or the War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement), you can join the Motability Scheme.

Under the scheme, you can use your mobility allowance to obtain a powered wheelchair, a mobility scooter, or even a new car.

Other Schemes

There are organisations such as the Red Cross that support physically disabled people. They may be able to help you with wheelchair funding depending on your circumstances. For contact details, ask the Wheelchair Service. Alternatively, check the independent living charities listed on the government’s public service directgov website.

The Access to Work programme may also be able to offer money towards a wheelchair. Contact your regional Access to Work office, or speak to the Disability Employment Adviser at your local Jobcentre.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
My mum was diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome for the second time approximately 7 years ago, the first being 26 years ago which left her fighting for her life and unable to walk. She did eventually get back up on her feet, she was never the same but could walk again. The second time round has left her again in a wheelchair and with no hope of regaining the ability to weight bear eve again she is in it permanently. She was given a standard wheelchair by the NHS but I am wondering whether there is a way to get financial assistance to get her a lightweight one?? She has arthritis is her hands and elbows so as you can imagine it’s very difficult for her to get about in the big heavy one she has. I’m hoping someone can give me some guidance on where we can get some help
Kara - 22-Jul-19 @ 7:35 PM
Can I get a grant to help pay for a lifter for the back of the car to lift my wifes mobility scooter in and out of the car as she suffers from parkinsons and scoliosis of the spine, can you advise please. Kind regards Fred
Fred - 14-May-19 @ 9:46 AM
Hi Short version...I was divorced from an abusive partner several years ago, made homeless and thankfully managed to gain a place within a few months. Worked throughout to keep us afloat, as through this time I have cared for my daughter who has adhd and aspergers. I then had an emergency hysterectomy following a miscarriage, this went wrong, resulted in a sacrospinalfuxation operation. Then I fell and dislodged this, lost my job for a short time (4 months) but was on UC, so despite doctors notes stating unfit for work, was unable to claim anything until I attended the esa assessment. However, debt was spiralling so I went back to work against doctors orders and therefore did not attend ESA assessment so was disallowed my claim. Working full time now in the same job, trying to pay my way out of debts incurred from being out of work, but have now had diagnosis of CFS and fibromyalgia, with hypoglycemia...still want to work full time, but more and more of a struggle with my mobility so need a wheelchair and cannot afford one. Please could you assist with any advice? Thank you in advance
Tigger - 22-Jan-19 @ 8:56 PM
I'm looking for charity who supports disabled people's.My brother live in Albania and he really need a wheelchair.they cost so much so we can't afford to buy one. It will be very helpful if someone tells me how can I find one.
Erisi - 24-May-17 @ 10:02 PM
Hi, Up until around 9yrs ago I was fit and healthy.Some people would say I was a fitness freak!! To cut a long story short..... After a messy break-up with my childhood sweetheart, whom I found in bed with another woman, after coming home early, my head was all over the place, so I joined the ARMY as a Combat Medic.I served 3&1/2 years, met my now ex-husband, got married, had a baby, got divorced after he turned violent and ended up having to move back to my parents will my 7mths old Daughter. I first started getting symptoms when my Daughter was about 6yrs, I got mouth ulcers and gut problems first.I lost 3 stone in a matter of weeks.Everyone thought I was anorexic!!One morning I had got up and showered, got as far as getting my underwear on then got this almighty pain in the right hand side of my gut.Mum just dialled 999.It turned out I had a rupture from an ulcer in my ilium.I was lucky as I was treated so quickly, otherwise the story could have been so different. After that then came the joint pain.Mine also effects my tendons, which makes it more painful. The embaracing symptom is genital uncleration, of which I do get every now and again. I also get ulceration and leisions on my legs, which start if as a raised bumps, they then seem to pop and ulcerate!Not nice at all All of these symptoms have a name:It is a rare autoimmune disease/syndrome called BEHCET's SYNDROME/Disease.
Purds5121 - 14-Mar-17 @ 8:38 AM
Hi there I'm classed as disabled I have lot health issues mental health depression Fibromyalgia and my husband has dementia and alzimersI was wondering if I can get any help getting a wheelchair as he haven trouble walking Many thanks collette
Collie - 2-Mar-17 @ 5:23 PM
padge - Your Question:
My mum and dad are both pensioners my dad is disabled and there is a real bad breeze coming through there room window is there any help they can get to replace there window as they don't have money to replace it

Our Response:
Try the disabled facilitites grant, they're generally given for adaptations related to a disability but can be given for reasons of warmth etc. Use the Turn2 Us Grant search tool to see what other grants might be applicable.
GrantsExpert - 27-Apr-16 @ 12:23 PM
My mum and dad are both pensioners my dad is disabled and there is a real bad breeze coming through there room window is there any help they can get to replace there window as they don't have money to replace it
padge - 26-Apr-16 @ 1:41 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments