Home > Family > Family Holiday Grants

Family Holiday Grants

By: Kevin Watson MSc - Updated: 6 Mar 2024 | comments*Discuss
Family Holiday Grants

The Family Fund awards holiday grants to families that have a severely disabled child. Normally, the disabled child must accompany the family on holiday. Grants are sometimes available, however, if the disabled child is in respite care. In this instance, the grant can help towards the cost of a short holiday for the disabled child’s parents, sisters and brothers.

The parent or carer of the disabled child must apply for the grant. The Family Fund then checks household income and the nature of the child’s disability.

The Calvert Trust

The Calvert Trust has three outdoor activity centres. These are at Kielder Water, Northumberland; Keswick in the Lake District; and Exmoor in the West Country.

The centres have activities that are suitable for people with mental disabilities, physical disabilities and learning difficulties. There are no age limits. Specialist supervisors give expert instruction.

Families can apply to the Calvert Trust for help with the cost of these holidays. The Trust awards holiday grants to individuals and to groups.

3H Fund

A family with a physically or mentally disabled person in the household can apply for a grant from the 3H Fund. The grant helps the family with the cost of a UK holiday.

If carers need a break, the 3H Fund can also help. It runs a scheme with volunteer helpers. The helpers take the physically disabled person on holiday as part of a group. The 3H fund subsidises the cost.

Family Holiday Association

The aim of the Family Holiday Association is to help disadvantaged families take much-needed breaks.

To qualify for help, families must be experiencing social and economic deprivation. What this means is that families are likely to have serious money problems. They may also be experiencing additional difficulties such as overcrowding, poor quality housing, disability, illness and depression. Some families may be trying to cope with abuse and violence.

The Family Holiday Association gives grants towards the price of a holiday. It also raises awareness of the way holidays improve a family’s sense of well-being. Such work involves talking to government agencies, councils, doctors, voluntary groups and the media.

Applications for holiday grants must come from third parties connected to welfare. These third parties include social workers, health visitors and doctors. Voluntary groups and national and local charities can also make referrals for grants.

The Association awards grants to the third parties. It is the third parties’ responsibility to help families arrange the holidays. The purpose of the grant is to cover some of the costs of travel, food and accommodation for a one-week stay at a holiday centre or caravan site in the UK. Companies such as Haven and Butlins usually run the holiday destinations.


If a family has a mentally or disabled child or adult, it is probable that at least one member of the household is a carer. The work such carers do can be demanding. The Margaret Champney Rest and Holiday Fund gives holiday grants to carers so they can have a rest.

Applications for a grant must come from a community nurse, social worker or professional health worker acting for the carer.

Website Design, Illustration, Hosting and SEO

If you are looking to increase brand awareness, generate web enquiries and/or generate online sales In Studio Digital will create an affordable, mobile friendly, secure website - check out In Studio Digital.

Based in the UK, skilled in WordPress, web design, ecommerce and illustration, they will build your site quickly, host it on a high performance server, and make it SEO friendly. Prices start at £399.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Im suffering with mental health and other problems and I have a family of 4 with one disabled child who has had atransplant .times are very difficult and it’s very hard to find money to try and give us a holiday :)
Ty - 6-Mar-24 @ 2:55 PM
Gizmo - 27-Oct-23 @ 5:44 AM
I hav already written about my situation and had no reply
Gizmo - 27-Oct-23 @ 5:40 AM
Hey I am a career in uk for my father whom is 50 years old and lives in Sheffield I literally care over 40hours a week he has serve mental health, schizophrenia, depression, psychosis things can be extremely hard I am also a single mother of two children due to caring for my father I can not find time to work as his needs are my priority I’m looking for help with funding for holidays and also driving lessons please can anyone help?
Jessy - 16-Oct-23 @ 12:07 PM
Hi I'm really not in a good place mentally I have emotional unstable borderline personality disorder anxiety and depression for last ten years my son hung himself in January air ambulance saved him but icu let him walk out hospital barefoot day after he came out coma i tried hang myself too out same bedroom window which let to me nearly loosing arm broke n shattered in 3 places broken septrum chestbone and head injury I so need a relaxing lit break as I'm trying get house move last 6 months and slowly loosing will to live even tho I'm getting support from mind Nd impact mental health services as so worthless
Elizabeth42@!!!!!! - 15-Aug-23 @ 11:04 PM
Hi I'm really not in a good place mentally I have emotional unstable borderline personality disorder anxiety and depression for last ten years my son hung himself in January air ambulance saved him but icu let him walk out hospital barefoot day after he came out coma i tried hang myself too out same bedroom window which let to me nearly loosing arm broke n shattered in 3 places broken septrum chestbone and head injury I so need a relaxing lit break as I'm trying get house move last 6 months and slowly loosing will to live even tho I'm getting support from mind Nd impact mental health services
Gizmo22 - 15-Aug-23 @ 10:58 PM
Hello, my name is Helen. I have bipolar disorder, p t.s.d. I was robbed and held at knife point in my own home a few months ago, my car was stolen, since this has happened I can't sleep, I've lost weight, I barely go out the door, I have severe flashbacks, my bipolar is rife, I have felt suicidal many times, a short holiday or break would be so good for my mental health, going away somewhere i won't be judged or stared at, it woukd give me a chance to recuperate, relax and just feel safe and at ease. A holiday or short break would mean so much to me, all I ask is for someone to please consider me for a short break or holiday to regain my confidence. It would heal my p.t.s.d. in ways, I would be so grateful for the opportunity to have a break. Many many thanks x
Wee weegie Helen - 10-Aug-23 @ 6:19 AM
Hi my psychologist therapist ask me to contact you if you will be able to help support me with any holiday caravans for this summer in UK. Im 44years old with health and mental problems lone parents with my Young carer 13 years old daughter without help from anyone . Thanks
Ann - 21-Jun-23 @ 12:41 PM
I'm a 52 year old woman who struggles with severe bipolar disorder and don't get out much also have a autistic son and never get much time for myselfI'm finding it really tough at moment and could do with a few days of respite and struggling financially thankyou
Joe - 16-May-23 @ 2:07 AM
Hi I have a son 13 with ADHD and Autsim as a single mother is really hard at time so with a small holiday break for us would be really appreciated.
Sim - 26-Feb-23 @ 2:48 PM
Hi my my partner & I have two children each, I suffer from Fibomyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Raynauds & achillies Tendinitis, my partner carers for me 24/7. We have a 12 year old boy with Cystic Fibrosis & a 16 year old that has just been diagnosed with IBD & Complex PTSD. We have been fighting an on going battle in court with my partners ex which has caused us to beg borrow and steal thousands. We have all been through a lot and I would love to make it possible for us all to go on a family holiday abroad. I understand that there are lots of familes in need and I am not asking for a free family holiday but I am asking if there is any charity that could perhaps help us out in any way at all please?
Cars01 - 7-Feb-23 @ 11:47 PM
My youngest boy who is 15 had adhd and hardly goes out , it would be so nice to take him and his brothers away but it's hard with three teenage boys to get money , is there any help I can receive , thank you
Linz - 27-Jul-21 @ 9:53 AM
My soN has adhd , very demanding and very tiring but I do love him , would love to be able to take him on holiday with kids like him
Cinderella - 25-Jul-20 @ 7:14 PM
Hi guys my younger brother Jubaer Ahmed has Dansindrome disabled for life , he is 20 yet he has a brain of a 5 year old , severe learning difficulties, he also suffer from autism . Please guys want to get funding for a trip to take him holiday . Also my mum n dad are very old getting weaker every day , myself suffer from depression and severe mental problems . Please advise me on who can give us funding for a trip I believe it will really help us , and make my brother happy .
Jubbzzz - 25-Jul-20 @ 3:15 AM
Please can I have fund for a short break With my kids I am a severe ill patient
Nazis - 13-Jul-20 @ 4:45 PM
My daughter had severe stroke in 2016 which left her leftside dormen. She has 4 children who all carers they have not had a holiday a break would boost them all any help would be appreciated.Thanks
Grammy - 28-May-20 @ 12:37 PM
Hi I am suffering really bad with depression and suicidal thoughts
Emily - 27-Mar-20 @ 7:31 PM
Hi I'm looking for help or to be pointed in the right direction. But I'm looking for somewhere who will help a struggling family afford a short break. The child as medical problems. Spd , pica syndrome and waiting on diagnosis on her heart. Also maybe ADHD. And mums a carer for her mum. A short break would be a little head space for them ..please can you send information on where we could ask for help.
Gran5 - 11-Feb-20 @ 11:43 PM
i need a washing machine can i get help
nouse - 7-Nov-19 @ 11:58 AM
Can someone advise where can get funding towards a holiday or of restbite holidays
Razzor - 20-Jun-19 @ 6:07 PM
Could anybody give me advice on where to enquire or who to ask. I am a 44yr man ihave mental health problems with suicidal tenencies self harm depression anxiety. I also have sleep apnia. I am also disabled with severe pain in my left foot from a fussion that didnt work out well. I live in a 1 bedroom flat and desperately need it all decorating. its all yellow stained with years of tobacco smoke. I am trying to find help out there to see if its possible to get a painter and decorator just to come and re-gloss all the skirting boards radiators and doors throughout as i can not stand for long or climb ladders. I know that community service (criminal justice system) provide slaves joking, i mean offenders, to do painting jobs but this is my home so i need a skilled painter and decorator to do the job properley. I have enquired but the quotes I have been getting are well out of my price range £140-£160 a day.Im only on benefits. So please if anybody can point me in the right direction id be forever greatful
gaz - 12-Jun-19 @ 6:02 PM
Hi I am a gran bringing up 2 grand sons age 13 and 12 I have a heart condition diabetic .and COPD .Is there any associations out there to help us have a breakWe've been together for 8 years woth no breaks Id love to build some nice memories with my 2 boy not getting any your ypurs with thanks Valerie
Val - 8-Jun-19 @ 5:24 PM
Hi. My brother is 21 years old. He is autistic and my mum has depression. Me and my sister look after them both. Are there any charities which can orovide grants towards a holidays abroad? Thank you so much
Ki - 26-May-19 @ 4:57 PM
Do you know ware can get grant or chairty help to ware taking them away etc if you send me details then I explain all there needs and what wrong with them and my self no charity will help once’s you get you get to over 25etc your j Hyde
Due droo - 18-May-19 @ 7:00 PM
Hi there. I am a disabled single adult with 2 of my 3 beautiful children disabled. 1 : is on the SEND reg due to global developmental delay/2 years behind, is under the EP's - SALT are also involved - awaiting referal for pead's . 2: has Anger and behavioural issues due to Gender Identity Dysphoria. I am looking for a cheap holiday/possible funding for my family & a friend for my daughter to come along- My eldest the non disabled one - needs some major respite from us 3! She needs to relax and enjoy life as on top of having her mother disabled,her father has long term cancer so she's dealing with alot along with being bullied for 4 years & self harming. She's doing great at present and I couldn't be more proud of who and what she's achieved so due to all that!I believe she needs some her time to do what she wants away from us!! Any help/advice is welcome. Thank you in advance for your help.
Polarbear2 - 15-Apr-19 @ 2:34 PM
I amseverely disabled dult with carer who looks fter me. I m trying to find out whether there are any grants availble to pay for her to accompany me on holiday. Any advice would be appreciated,
Mo - 13-Apr-19 @ 7:25 PM
Please can someone get in touch with me for more information.
1988 - 24-Mar-19 @ 3:37 PM
could you help me find someone who will help us with a holiday i am a carer with a husband with a disibility also i have a daughter who has angelman sydrome and would like help so we could go on a family holiday, i keep looking on line but it keep going to other things , could you help me please with who will help us, thank you
ang - 7-Mar-19 @ 8:33 PM
I have been treated blind since March with macular degeneration and I have lost my job and currently getting pip and Esa and have 3 disabled children and it has become to make ends meet financially as I have no employment and with my benefits I just about to pay the bills.I want to apply for a grant for a holiday as I have been going through depression as it’s difficult to accept my blindness.Can you please give me the feedback of my enquiry please.
Nav - 17-Jan-19 @ 11:43 PM
james - Your Question:
My name is Keith and I have a daughters of 11 years old I suffer with depression and get low mood I just had a triple heart bypass a bout 15 mouth ago still on the mend my daughter was bullied for two years and she got anger problem and recently she started to cut her self which as been a wary for me I have to check every day but she assent done eny more thank god every year we try and go on holiday which we have been to polish warren which is good got a pool club for the kid beach just down the road in which she enjoys and it get as a way from here for 4 days but every year it a struggle trying to get the money together I am a one parent bring my daughter up it as been hard but we try and get on with it so that my story a boat as Keith and Alicia thank you

Our Response:
You sounds like a great dad Keith, have you tried any of the suggestions in the above article?
GrantsExpert - 26-Jun-18 @ 1:56 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments