Home > Health > Royal Blind Society Grants

Royal Blind Society Grants

By: Kevin Watson MSc - Updated: 7 Jan 2019 | comments*Discuss
Royal Blind Society Grants

There are almost two million people in the UK who have problems with their sight. For 140 years, the Royal Blind Society has helped those on low incomes with grant awards.

The purpose of such awards is to give practical support to the blind and partially sighted. This support leads to independence and a more fulfilled life.


The total amount the Royal Blind Society gives in grants each year to visually impaired people is about £100,000. This money, and the running costs of the society, come from public donations. The society receives no help from the government.

Who Qualifies?

Grant applicants must have blind or partially sighted registration. He or she must also be a permanent UK resident.

Applicants must make a grant claim through a third party. This third party should be someone who knows the applicant well and holds an appropriate professional office. This office can be that of a welfare worker, a social worker, a day care centre manager, a rehabilitation officer, a Citizens’ Advice Bureau officer, a worker with a local group that supports the blind, or similar.

The other qualification criteria are disposable income and savings.

Weekly household disposable income must not be greater than £104 for one person or £182 for a couple. If there is anyone else in the home, the disposable income maximum increases by a weekly amount of £47 per person.

To calculate disposable income, applicants must add their total income. They should exclude Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance. From this total, applicants must then deduct council tax, mortgage payments or rent. They should make no other deductions.

If an applicant has savings that total more than £4,000, the Royal Blind Society is unlikely to give a grant.

The Grants

The society awards grants to help towards the cost of basic household bills. These include electricity and the phone. The amount of such a grant is up to £208 per year.

The society also awards one-off grants. These are up to £200. The society may award one such grant per household per year.

The society has certain priorities for one-off grants. Among these are health and safety for day-to-day living, and UK holidays. For the holidays, the society prefers applicants to book one of its own hotels.

Grants can also help with the cost of computers and software. The software should aid reading and writing, and improve the chances of work and learning.


The society reviews applications for annual and one-off grants every three months.

Applicants must enclose a quote for the goods or service they wish to buy.

If an applicant’s disposable income is greater than the amounts stated by the society, the applicant should enclose details of any exceptional circumstances that may be relevant.

A charity may sponsor a grant application to the society. But the society expects the sponsor to have already given a contribution to the applicant, or have pledged to make such a payment. The Royal Blind Society’s grant will not be greater than this amount.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
I am registered blind and want to enquire a bout the holiday grants for partially sighted people please. N ul haq
Fred - 7-Jan-19 @ 9:28 PM
I am indian.I and my wife have HIV positivepleasehelp me some money
Ranjith - 11-Nov-18 @ 4:18 PM
I need help funding my child's school trip to France . Thanks
Sharon - 28-Jun-17 @ 3:44 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Nik
    Re: Music & Dance Funding Schemes
    My daughter is going to dance college and I have to find this myself I am a single parent and need to find funding for her…
    18 February 2019
  • Irfan khan
    Re: Grants for Writers
    I have recently published my Fiction , now need some guideline and help to sell it all over the world. “ THE DAY FIGHTER” is a tremendous…
    17 February 2019
  • gina
    Re: Getting Help with Funding for School Trips
    My daughter has just started her first year in comprehensive school.she brought a letter home for a school trip…
    15 February 2019
  • Maz65
    Re: Funding for Home Improvements
    Hi, I need a grant for my mom's house it's owned by her, she has lived in her house for 50yrs now she did have repaires done it…
    13 February 2019
  • kyle
    Re: Construction Industry Grants
    hello I've been working In construction for be last year or so with different firms as a labourer, I'm just wondering if there's…
    13 February 2019
  • Emzie1981
    Re: Getting Help with Funding for School Trips
    My daughter is in years 8 and came home with a letter for a trip to Canada next year for £1500 letter states…
    13 February 2019
  • Earwig
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    I am a home owner. I've lived in my house for 19 years. I'm disabled and 60 years old, I live on my own. Is there a grant available…
    12 February 2019
  • James
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    Good day, My property is 100 years old, there is a stone retaining wall to the front of the property directly on to the main road.…
    11 February 2019
  • Tom
    Re: Grants for Adapting Your Property Due to Disability
    Hi, a year ago we moved to a one bedroom housing executive bungalow due to an immediate need to move…
    10 February 2019
  • Michelle
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    Good day am looking for grant to help my old parents their home is more than 40 years old the roof, floor abd the walls are in bad…
    10 February 2019