Home > Health > Grants for Alcohol Education & Research

Grants for Alcohol Education & Research

By: Kevin Watson MSc - Updated: 18 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
Grants For Alcohol Education & Research

Alcohol Education and Research Council

The Alcohol Education and Research Council (AERC) has two aims. The first is to create and spread research-based evidence that can inform policymakers and those who work in alcohol-related fields. The second is to encourage people and organisations to discuss and resolve alcohol issues.

Four Types of Grant

As part of its activities, AERC funds four types of grant. These are small grants, development grants, research grants and studentship grants.

Small Grants

AERC’s small grants scheme funds projects up to £5,000. There are no deadlines for applications. AERC processes small grant applications throughout the year.

AERC wants applicants to propose projects that demonstrate innovation and evaluation. Successful projects tend to be evidence-based and may include demonstrations or pilot research studies.

Examples of AERC grant-funded projects in this area include:

  • Research into mood and aggression among social drinkers
  • Research into the help that’s available for professionals who give support to young people and children whose parents have alcohol problems
  • A scheme that examines how to strengthen families in the face of alcohol issues
  • A pilot study that looks at the ways different agencies can work together to reduce binge drinking and the consequent affects on the NHS

Development Grants

AERC is interested in awarding development grants for projects that fall outside central and local government responsibilities.

Projects must aim to develop people and organisations. They can do this by influencing change; evaluating what works; encouraging cultural change; and improving the alcohol-related habits of people who work in the alcohol industry.

Applicants can apply for grants from £5,000 to £50,000.

Research Grants

AERC research grants are usually in the region of £50,000. Applicants can propose more expensive projects but the outcomes have to be good value.

A research grant project should ideally have partnership working and funding with local organisations. In this way, the scope of the project can be as large as possible.

An application for a research grant must also show how the project will increase the evidence base related to alcohol, and how it will develop people. This last element is important. AERC wants to improve research and practitioner skills. The project must therefore enhance these skills in a positive and measurable way.

Furthermore, the evidence base of the research must have an appropriate methodology. Research must be clear and thorough.

Studentship Grants

AERC’s studentship grants are for a course that leads to professional qualifications. The grant is a payment of £1,200 towards the course fees.

The course must relate to research into alcohol. Applicants must also bear in mind that AERC wants to raise the standard of service for those people who have drinking problems. An application for a studentship grant should reflect this aim.

Applicants must have an acceptance or provisional acceptance for a taught course. This should be at university standard. The intended qualification should be a diploma or something similar in studies related to alcohol.

Applicants should also be in paid work for a voluntary agency that deals with alcohol issues. Applicants who are volunteer workers in the alcohol field must have an offer of paid work once they complete the course and gain a qualification.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • Nik
    Re: Music & Dance Funding Schemes
    My daughter is going to dance college and I have to find this myself I am a single parent and need to find funding for her…
    18 February 2019
  • Irfan khan
    Re: Grants for Writers
    I have recently published my Fiction , now need some guideline and help to sell it all over the world. “ THE DAY FIGHTER” is a tremendous…
    17 February 2019
  • gina
    Re: Getting Help with Funding for School Trips
    My daughter has just started her first year in comprehensive school.she brought a letter home for a school trip…
    15 February 2019
  • Maz65
    Re: Funding for Home Improvements
    Hi, I need a grant for my mom's house it's owned by her, she has lived in her house for 50yrs now she did have repaires done it…
    13 February 2019
  • kyle
    Re: Construction Industry Grants
    hello I've been working In construction for be last year or so with different firms as a labourer, I'm just wondering if there's…
    13 February 2019
  • Emzie1981
    Re: Getting Help with Funding for School Trips
    My daughter is in years 8 and came home with a letter for a trip to Canada next year for £1500 letter states…
    13 February 2019
  • Earwig
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    I am a home owner. I've lived in my house for 19 years. I'm disabled and 60 years old, I live on my own. Is there a grant available…
    12 February 2019
  • James
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    Good day, My property is 100 years old, there is a stone retaining wall to the front of the property directly on to the main road.…
    11 February 2019
  • Tom
    Re: Grants for Adapting Your Property Due to Disability
    Hi, a year ago we moved to a one bedroom housing executive bungalow due to an immediate need to move…
    10 February 2019
  • Michelle
    Re: Getting a Renovation Grant
    Good day am looking for grant to help my old parents their home is more than 40 years old the roof, floor abd the walls are in bad…
    10 February 2019