Home > Family > Applying for a Job Grant

Applying for a Job Grant

By: Jennifer Lowe - Updated: 12 Jun 2017 | comments*Discuss
Jobseekers Allowance Unemployed Benefits

Please note the job grants stopped on 1 April 2013 - you can no longer apply for a Job Grant.

What is a Job Grant?

The job grant is provided to those who make the move back into employment and stop receiving benefits. It is a one-off tax-free payment to help those people make the transition.This grant is available to those who start working at least 16 hours per week and you are expecting to be in work for a minimum of five weeks.

There are certain benefits that you must have been in receipt of certain benefits. These include jobseekers allowance, income support, incapacity benefit or severe disability allowance, and according to the guidelines, you must have been claiming them for a minimum of 26 weeks.

If it is your partner, and not yourself, that gets a job and as a result your benefits have suffered, you may also be entitled to a job grant providing they are working at least 24 hours a week.

The amount you will receive is very much dependent on your personal circumstances. In the first instance, if you are a single person, are part of a civil partnership, or are without children, then you will receive £100.Alternatively, if you are a single parent or are part of a civil partnership with children, then you are entitled to a grant of £250.

The added advantage of receiving the job grant is that it is tax-free. This means that any other benefits or tax credits you are in receipt of won't be affected or reduced once you start your new job.

Also, if you qualify to receive the job grant, you will also automatically be eligible for Extended Council Tax Benefit and Extended Housing Benefit. If you need to know more about these then you should contact your local housing office and they will be able to help you figure out what you are entitled to.


When it comes to actually applying for the job grant, the process couldn't be simpler. You will automatically get the grant providing you are eligible.The first thing that you must do is inform you job centre office that you have found work and are starting your new job. The job grant will be paid to you in exactly the same way as your benefit was.

If your application has been refused you are not able to appeal, this also goes if you feel you have been awarded the wrong amount. However, you are able to request that the office that dealt with your initial claim to reconsider.

This form of funding was introduced to replace the Back to Work Bonus and the Lone Parent's Benefit. If you are an applicant under the age of 25 and claiming benefits, then you may be eligible for the New Deal for Young people, which provides training and experience to help you get back into work.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Deli licious- Your Question:
Hello. I've just started work and signed off jsa. (16 hours) does the job grant still exist at this time?

Our Response:
No as the article says, a job grant is not available anymore.
GrantsExpert - 15-Jun-17 @ 2:01 PM
Hello. I've just started work and signed off jsa. (16 hours) does the job grant still exist at this time?
Deli licious - 12-Jun-17 @ 5:45 PM
My name is Sophie and I'm beginning an aprenticeship in carpentry within the next two weeks. My employer said I need to buy my own tools, however I cannot afford to buy them.  I'm on job seekers allowance at the moment and so I'm struggling for paying bills and food already. I wouldn't want my situation now affect my chance of this apprenticeship opportunity, so I'm trying to get help for a payment of £100 to pay for my tools and equipment.  Please let me know if there are any organisations that can help me.
Soph - 11-Jun-17 @ 8:54 PM
none - Your Question:
I have a job interview can I get money to buy clothes for the interview thanks

Our Response:
There are some charitable organisations that can help with this. A few examples are below, but it might be worth searching for something in your own region:
Suited and Booted
Smart Works
Suited for Success
GrantsExpert - 3-May-17 @ 12:50 PM
I have a job interview can I get money to buy clothes for the interview thanks
none - 2-May-17 @ 11:17 PM
dave - Your Question:
Hi I just seen that job grant is no longer available I have been on jsa for 18 months and 2 days ago started work is there any other money I could claim to help me along in to my new job thanks

Our Response:
You could try Employment support allowance or look at crisis loans, or advance pay from your employer.
GrantsExpert - 14-Oct-15 @ 12:56 PM
hi I just seen that job grant is no longer available I have been on jsa for 18 months and 2 days ago started work is there any other money I could claim to help me along in to my new job thanks
dave - 13-Oct-15 @ 6:12 PM
Thompsondc - Your Question:
Hi I got a 20+ job Jsa people say I no right to any help job grant bus fair or anything how am I ment to get work support me my partner and child under 2??? No income for 4week please may you help me as I got nothing no income

Our Response:
Here are a few ideas:
Try applying for Employment Support Allowance
If you have a mortgage, look into "Mortgage Interest Run On" - extra money you can get towards your housing costs if certain other benefits are stopping because you'rereturning to work. You can get this help for 4 weeks.
Check with your council about a ‘discretionary housing payment’ if your Housing Benefit doesn’t cover your rent
Ask your bank for an agreed overdraft
Ask your employer to pay your salary in advance or after two weeks instead of month etc
GrantsExpert - 9-Sep-15 @ 11:03 AM
Hi I got a 20+ job Jsa people say I no right to any help job grant bus fair or anything how am I ment to get work support me my partner and child under 2??? No income for 4week please may you help me as I got nothing no income
Thompsondc - 8-Sep-15 @ 8:21 AM
I have been longas JSA I try my bestto getjob I have plan to start smalfood besness just I need smal mony to start . Is the JSA ofice can help me with that
Fares - 13-Aug-15 @ 1:49 AM
Hello, I have been put on the Work Programme after claiming JSA over 26 weeks.I have been reading about help with travel for the first month when you get work.Reading the eligibility it states if you are on the work programme you cannot claim a free pass? Would it be the case that DWP provide you with a pass instead?Most jobs are paid monthly now so what would be the circumstances that you would not be eligible for a job grant when you get into work and are paid monthly.
JSA70 - 26-Jul-15 @ 9:27 AM
@a. Try the Discretionary Learner Support Grant. If your course is at a university you could be eligible for a student loan. Alternatively try The Turn2Us grants and benefits page.
GrantsExpert - 16-Jun-15 @ 12:56 PM
hi i have been offered a training course to become a full time level 3 gym trainer im on esa now ive been on it for 2 years im 42 could i apply for a grant to take course
a - 11-Jun-15 @ 5:27 PM
I have been claiming JSA just 3 weeks. I have been for a couple job interviews recently and have been called back 3 times to one job, which gives me the impression i have a good chance of getting this job. However, the place does not provide uniforms and i havent got clothes or funds to buy clothes to suit this job roll. Is there anything i can get to help me to buy some clothes if i was to get this job? As i have just read that you have to have been clining JSA for a minimum of 26weeks. Thank you
htxx - 22-May-15 @ 7:13 PM
@Supeginge90. You should only have one month without funds if you are working one month in hand. There's a good overview of the various crisis payments available on this page of the CAB website. We hope one of these will help you and good luck in your new job.
GrantsExpert - 21-May-15 @ 11:04 AM
Hi I am starting work soon and I have to work a month in hand which will leave me, my partner and my 1 year old with no money.The job centre said they are unable to provide me with any help with money meaning for 2 month I am unable to buy food, toiletries, baby provisions or pay bills.What should I do??
Superginge90 - 18-May-15 @ 10:53 AM
@taverymuch. Thank you for the information.
GrantsExpert - 15-May-15 @ 1:30 PM
@ceren. Ask at your job centre first. They should have a list of any local organisations that help with things like this (we say should...but you have to be lucky to be in an area with the right staff). There is a charity called Smartworksthat provides just this kind of thing. You should also try local charity shops as you may be able to pick up a really smart outfit for very little. Remember nowadays you're expected to look smart but this doesn't have to wear a skirt/trouser suit.
GrantsExpert - 13-May-15 @ 10:56 AM
The Flexible Support Fund (FSF) is available to apply for to help you start or move towards finding work.It can also be used to cover costs for goods and services that include:tools,childcare,travel to interviews,clothing and uniforms to start work. It is discretionary, which means that there is no automatic right to receive support. You need to be claiming ESA,JSA or Income support. if you are looking at going back to work make sure you ring jobcentre and let them know you would like an appointment to discuss support.
taverymuch - 11-May-15 @ 10:56 PM
Hi I'm currently recieving esa (support group) and dla and I want to go back to work asap can you tell me any grants or hepl I may get for clothes etc for interviews.
ceren - 7-May-15 @ 12:49 PM
@Jey. Yes as the information says at the top, the grant no longer exists.
GrantsExpert - 12-Nov-14 @ 11:02 AM
I just read that there no morejob grant, is that true that if you return to work you won't be paid job grant? Because on jobcentre website there's no that kind of information.
jey - 10-Nov-14 @ 11:24 PM
Am I entitled to a job grant I started work on the 12.8.14 I am 60 years old.
iZZIE - 21-Aug-14 @ 1:44 PM
I informed Jobcentre I had found work 16 hrs per week as my advisor had informed of Job Grant if returned to work.they said because I had started work I wasn't entitled.Read on government site about 30 minutes ago that you have to contact jobcentre within 21 days of starting work, I informed them within 2 days!!!!! Can I reclaim for it as I was within the 21 day period.
sharonh - 22-Jun-14 @ 1:18 AM
Hi, Job grants & in work credit ceased in April 2013 there are no longer available to claim. A four week run on of Housing Benefit & Council Tax Reduction may be applicable. The local Authority's Welfare Fund may be able to pay a crisis grant.
Michelle CAB - 20-May-14 @ 3:20 PM
I am about to sign of JSA and start work on the 07/04/14 but will not be paid until the 28/04/14 is this grant still available?? My job centre have told me they will girve me money for new trousers and shoes when asked about travelling expenses etc was told that it no longer available What do i do now??
rosie - 26-Mar-14 @ 4:04 AM
I signed off JSA on September 2013 and started work on October 1st 2013. Should i have been entitled to Back to Work Grant? I wasnt aware this grant even existed. I worked a month in hand and couldnt even get extended housing/council tax benefit. The job center i signed at was worse than useless at giving advice and information. Thanks for any info.
Snafflecat - 6-Feb-14 @ 11:20 PM
I've been on incapacity(changed to ESA) for few years, I'm single over 40 n have just got a full time job, will I receive the job grant?
Dog lover - 5-Dec-13 @ 10:04 PM
I was made redundant in july 2013 andam likely tobe taking a temporary role till January 2013 however if I take the job my first pay date will be dec 7th so would I qualify for a back to work grant as I would have the whole of November to manage my bills with no income. I am single and have no children
budgie - 29-Oct-13 @ 4:14 PM
I started work 28/9/13, im a lone parent am i entitled to a job grant?
Jade - 7-Oct-13 @ 10:37 AM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the GrantsExpert website. Please read our Disclaimer.