Home > Professions > Construction Industry Grants

Construction Industry Grants

By: Kevin Watson MSc - Updated: 25 Feb 2021 | comments*Discuss
Construction Industry Training

The Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) is the organisation that coordinates training in the UK for construction industry workers.

As part of this training, CITB runs a grants scheme. This scheme has grown from discussions within the construction industry on promoting and supporting training and qualifications.

Meeting Needs

CITB has designed the grants scheme to meet certain requirements. The first is to boost the productivity and performance of employers. The second is to reinforce the concept of life-long learning. The final requirement is to encourage and underpin construction industry careers.


The grants scheme has the support of 14 construction industry federations. Among these are the UK Contractors’ Group, the Scottish Building Federation, the National Association of Shopfitters, the National Federation of Demolition Contractors, and the British Woodworking Federation.

Money for the grants comes from a yearly levy. The CITB gathers this from employers involved with the construction industry.

Who Can Claim

All employers registered with CITB can request a grant towards the costs of training and development. Employers do not need to pay the levy before they make a claim.

Broadly speaking, it’s the smaller firms in the construction industry that apply for grants. In the absence of such grants, many companies would not have trained employees.

Firms can put in a request for a grant that covers the training of all employees. These include sub-contracting labourers.

Claim Forms

CITB provides a number of documents that clarify the claims process. But essentially there are three claim forms.

The first of these is for claiming a number of different grants. These are: professional and technical achievement and attendance grants, Site Safety Plus grants, CPCS Technical Test grants, Vocational Qualification grants and apprenticeship framework achievement grants.

The second claim form relates to work experience in the construction industry. It applies to students and graduates.

The final form is for training that’s away from the job. Such training should be for a short period.

Sound Training

Before making a claim for a grant with CITB, employers should bear in mind the sound training principles. CITB suggests that firms apply the principles according to the size and nature of their work.

One of the main principles states that career development and training of employees is the responsibility of senior managers. Furthermore, managers should promote such development and training as a matter of course.

Another central principle is that managers should assess the needs of a job and match these to individual workers. Managers can then identify any training that workers need.

Other Principles

Other principles concern the acquisition, monitoring and evaluation of workers’ skills.

A firm should have a development and training scheme, for instance, which allows workers to obtain appropriate knowledge and skills. A firm should review training and development regularly, make a record of it, and take any remedial action. And a firm should have up to date development and training policies.

Finally, all construction industry development and training should ideally end with a National Vocational Qualification, a Scottish Vocational Qualification or a suitable credit.

If employers abide by these principles, CITB can ensure that its grant scheme leads to practical and positive results.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hi I am360 digger ticket.But I lost job andmy bulding work
Goldy - 25-Feb-21 @ 5:07 PM
Is there a grants for people on universal credit to obtain digger and dumper tickets
Gg - 5-Feb-21 @ 5:16 PM
am currently unemployed,is there any chance grant to help pay for cpcs telescopic handler certificate I’m in universal credit at moment and is there any courses nr me ir close to north London ThanksAndy
Dino - 19-Dec-20 @ 10:38 AM
Hi I have recently lost my business due to Covid-19 and now want to get my 360 ticket is there any chance of some funding that I can apply for. Thank-you!!
tarponx1 - 30-Nov-20 @ 10:43 AM
Hi wondered if I can get any help towards my telehandlers license I have been in construction for 7 years now and am currently on a job where iam labouring threw an agency but they need a telehandler as well I want mine but can’t get the funds so I have a job there waiting for me but obviously need this ticket many thanks terry
Terry - 2-Nov-20 @ 1:01 PM
Looking for help with my excavator ticket
Mike - 13-Oct-20 @ 5:21 PM
Looking for help to get my CPCS 360 excavator ticket
Mikez - 13-Oct-20 @ 5:20 PM
I've been in construction since I have been 15 I'm now 28 and only hold a labour's card I've done most things in construction steel fixing scaffolding flat roofing ganger for laboures the list gos on but I can't seem to find anyone to help me achieve more I'm not fused what I do but having two kids and bills I can't seem to find the money to better my self is their any form of help
Sindle - 27-Sep-20 @ 8:09 PM
Hi I would like to know is there any funding available for me to do my machine ticket I currently working in the construction industry for an agency and I would like to guain more skills
Smallie - 23-Sep-20 @ 11:17 AM
Hi my red cpcs card has ran out off date is there anyway I can get help to obtain my blue card?
Az - 22-Sep-20 @ 11:09 AM
Hi , I am currently unemployed,is there a grant to help pay for retraining,On a above 10 ton 360 certificate and is there any courses nr me or one you can pay with monthly instalments. Thanks Andy
Andykj - 15-Sep-20 @ 6:42 PM
Hi I have an Intermediate Construction award and is no longer recognised so I wandered if there was a grant to help me get my NVQ L3 For my cscs card so I can go back on site. Kind regards
Del Boy - 3-Sep-20 @ 8:12 PM
I have experience with a 360 excavator but changed profession 19 years ago I’m currently out of work and looking to get my licence for over 10 tonne excavator is there any funding or grants available please advise thanks
GINGE - 26-Aug-20 @ 6:37 PM
Hello I need funding for a dumper ticket so I can get employment with a company I am currently unemployed
Matt - 14-Aug-20 @ 1:42 PM
Hi , I am currently unemployed,is there a grant to help pay for retraining,I did have a 360 certificate and rough terrain forklift , these ran out a long time ago , is there any courses nr me which you can pay with monthly instalments. Thanks Daz
Daz - 10-Aug-20 @ 7:03 AM
Hi Looking to take an cpcs telehandler or skid Training course. But currently on universal credit, what are my Options
Carlos - 1-Jul-20 @ 4:46 PM
I am a labourer and want to get telescopic handler tickets is there any funding that could help me achieve my goal
Raf - 24-Jun-20 @ 9:58 AM
can I get funding for 360 slew up grade on might tick
cilla - 11-Jun-20 @ 10:46 AM
I would like to know if it’s possible to get funding for my 360 excavator ticket.
8918dan - 10-Jun-20 @ 10:06 AM
How do I go on for getting a digger license I am out of work at the moment kind t
Ant - 8-Jun-20 @ 7:40 PM
Hi is there any helpI can get to help pay for a dumper license have experience in driving them.
Drew - 31-May-20 @ 7:19 PM
Hello, looking for some info on how to get funding for a nvq2 bricklaying course with CITP Aldermaston. Hope to get a reply.
Bricky1 - 24-Feb-20 @ 7:26 PM
I am currently a fully qualified scaffolder who needs a change in profession. I'd live to get my dumper ticket but don't have the money for the course. Is there a way I could get funding for this?
Ash - 21-Feb-20 @ 10:35 AM
Is there any chance that i could get a grant for me to get my tickets for 10 tone and above 360 machine
Evo - 3-Jan-20 @ 8:12 PM
Hi, I am an addiction support worker and am interested in locating funding for one of our service users who is looking to get back into employment in this field. He has experience but needs the relevant qualifications. any information would be greatly appreciated.
ElouiseB - 3-Jan-20 @ 11:37 AM
Hi would like to know if it's possible to get any funding for a 360 excavator ticket. I'm 44 years old with over 20 year's experience in Construction currently working as a Groundworker.Have had Froward tipping Dumper and Roller tickets and think I'm at that stage in my life to have a go in a machine. Many Thanks Mr Chris Jones
Jonesy - 19-Nov-19 @ 6:55 PM
I am an skilled labourer with svq level 2. I am not working and would like to do my excavator tickets. Is there any funding available to help with the cost?
Stevie - 21-Aug-19 @ 8:53 AM
Hi I have various licenses but am looking into getting my 360 digger would I be able to get a grant for this.
Richie - 9-Jul-19 @ 10:16 PM
I would like to get a grant for a digger licence
Amjid - 15-May-19 @ 10:16 AM
hello I've been working In construction for be last year or so with different firms as a labourer,I'm just wondering if there's any scheme that could help me get my dumper license as I haven't got the funds to pay for it myself
kyle - 13-Feb-19 @ 12:56 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments