Home > Arts > Global Curriculum Project Grants

Global Curriculum Project Grants

By: Kevin Watson MSc - Updated: 19 Oct 2012 | comments*Discuss
 
Global Curriculum Schools Teachers

The Department for International Development (DFID) runs a scheme for global curriculum project grants.

The grants are part of an initiative known as Global School Partnerships. The aim of the initiative is to encourage young people to commit themselves to a more just and sustainable world.

Over the last few years, DFID has helped to create 2,000 partnerships. These connect UK schools to schools in Asia, Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America.

Purpose

Global curriculum project grants help such partnerships with the growth of joint studies. These studies must have a global dimension.

The grants are for travel costs. These relate to visits by two teachers from each school to their partner.

The grants also apply to any project costs. These might include training, the provision of cover in the absence of teachers, and the price of any relevant project materials.

Dividing the Grant

Applicants must divide the grant between the two schools. As a result, during the period of funding, teachers should be able to make one visit to the partner school.

Renewing the Grant

Applicants can renew the grant each year. This can continue for three years. DFID supplies the renewal form.

Funding in the second and third years may be the same as in the first year.

Who is Eligible?

Schools with a partnership that has run for two years or more are eligible to apply for a grant.

The partnerships can exist between sixth form colleges, secondary schools, special schools, primary schools, middle schools and pre-schools.

Amount of Available Money

The maximum grant for a school partnership is £6,200.

When two schools in the UK are working jointly with two in another country, the maximum grant is £12,400.

When three schools in the UK are working jointly with three in another country, the maximum grant is £18,600.

£18,600 is the maximum that DFID awards for any global curriculum project. When four or more schools in the UK work jointly with four or more in another country, the maximum grant is £18,600.

Students

The primary focus of the grant is for teachers to travel and develop global curriculum projects. But it may be possible for secondary-age students to benefit as well.

This applies only in the second and third years of the project. Applicants should make clear in their claims for the grant that they want students involved.

If successful, DFID awards a maximum grant of £6,800. Such an amount covers no more than four students from each of the partnership schools.

Seminars

To clarify the intention of the grants, DFID runs grant seminars. At these seminars, applicants can also obtain advice about completing the claim form.

During the claim process, applicants can seek help from DFID regional co-ordinators.

After the Application

An independent panel assesses all grant claims. Following the assessment, DFID writes to applicants.

If an application is unsuccessful, DFID gives feedback.

Payment

Successful applicants sign a contract with DFID. DFID then places 80% of the grant money into the UK school’s bank account. DFID pays the remaining 20% once it receives a project report from the school a year later.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
I am delighted to see that the Department for International Development is offering Global Development Project grants. This is exactly what I have been looking for during the past 6 years to help pupils in my school develop their ongoing links with some highly deserving Commonwealth partners. Even if I am not successful in securing a grant, I greatly appreciate the opportunity that the DFID is offering! Thank you so much.
Alison - 23-Dec-11 @ 7:08 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
Title:
(never shown)
Firstname:
(never shown)
Surname:
(never shown)
Email:
(never shown)
Nickname:
(shown)
Comment:
Validate:
Enter word:
Latest Comments