Home > Home > Funding for Home Improvements

Funding for Home Improvements

By: Jennifer Lowe - Updated: 23 Apr 2019 | comments*Discuss
Home Improvement Paying For Renovations

Improving your home can be very costly, but if it is necessary in order to make it habitable then you may be eligible for funding.This type of funding can come in a number of different forms, such as low cost loans, grants and equity release.Your local authority has the discretion to award funding to householders to carry out essential repairs or adaptations.

Something Old, Something New

Renovation grants were introduced to provide financial assistance towards substantial repairs or improvements that need to be made to a property to make it fit for human habitation.These grants are provided at the discretion of your local authority and are means-tested. This basically means that the amount you will receive is dependent on your income, so the more you earn the less the grant will be.

There is, however, a maximum amount that can be awarded and this is £20,000 for owner-occupiers and tenants and between £10,000 and £15,000 per unit for landlords, although, this is dependent on the landlords overall plan of letting of the property.

To be eligible for the grant, the property itself must have been built more than 10 years ago, can’t be a second or holiday home and, in the case of owner-occupier applications, it has to have been occupied by you for at least three years before you make the initial grant request.

There are also some conditions to the grants being offered which have to be adhered to for 10 years by owner-occupiers and five years for landlords.If the conditions are breached at any point during this time then the grant must be repaid to the council that awarded it. This also applies if the property is sold within the condition period.

Approving Improvements

Disabled Facilities Grants are available from local councils to help pay for necessary adaptations to your home.You can apply for a Disabled Facilities grant if yourself, or someone else living in your home, is disabled, one of you either owns or is a tenant of, the property and you can certify that you, or the person who you are applying for, will occupy the property for five years.

If you are a landlord and have a disabled tenant, you can also apply for the grant to adapt the property for their use.These grants are provided by your local council and can be used to adapt your property in order to give the disabled resident freedom of movement in and around the home. This could include work such as the widening of doors, installing ramps, installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom. There is also the option to use the grant to improve facilities in the home, such as the heating system or lighting controls.

Like many other grants offered by local councils, the Disabled Facilities Grant is means-tested – based on an assessment of your financial situation. Basically, the council will look at your weekly income and essential outgoings, such as rent or mortgage payments and personal expenditure, to determine what level of the grant you will need. They also take into account your savings, which if above a certain level can have an impact on the amount you will receive.

However, if you are applying because you have a disabled child under the age of 19, then there is no need for means-testing and you will receive the full amount. If you are married, or have a partner, the council will assess your combined income, but the first £6,000 of any savings you might have is ignored.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
[Add a Comment]
Hi, me and my partner own our own home I’ve just had my 2nd hip reconstruction, I also suffer with low back problems and problems with my other hip. I can no longer get in and out of the bath so am not able to wash, are we able to get help refurbishing the bathroom.
Tasha - 23-Apr-19 @ 3:04 PM
Congratulations on your "Funding For Home Improvements" inspirational thanks for sharing. I Morine Barnes live alone my daughter Myola Edwards is to move home after her exams 2019 and my son Rommel Edwards as moved into a support home. I Morine Barnes now live alone and must decorate my 3 bedroom house to Midland Heart Ltd Tenancy Agreement. I pay my bill planner up budget benefits off work sick with Chronic Depression ends do not meet with a job. Can you help me to get a grant to decorate. Thanking you in advance. Morine Barnes 59. Donald 61, Myola 39 & Rommel Edwards 37. Graham 90.
Molly - 16-Apr-19 @ 8:46 AM
Hi there I'm on benefits and am living in my 1930 mid terraced which needs renovating from top to bottom is there any help I've heard of grants are they still available Sincerely mo
Mo - 2-Apr-19 @ 7:41 PM
I own my own home have taken equity 'releasefor making my home safe , I .ca not release any moreI need to update my kitchen with new safe to use appliancesraised ovenext cuboarrdI can reach or accesssafe non slip flooring and white goods replacing also back door replacement ,who can help me ,disabled high ratefor life lung condition mobility problems ,I had a grant from council that was repaid from equity releasehow can i get help
dragonfly33 - 9-Mar-19 @ 9:24 PM
My husband has arthritis and has Severe back problems we have no money and we have a leak in our bathroom it is very hard for him to get in and out please we need help to get a new bathroom please could you help me and my family.
Kelly - 4-Mar-19 @ 7:48 PM
Hello I am a pensioner with my husband we get state pension each. I am on attendance allows.my husband used to get cares allows for me. That was stopped when he reached pension age. The only help we get now is we don’t pay rates. We are all electric, to cut a long story short I would like to no if we could get a grant for having a biofuel system put in. As I feel the cold greatly, which in turn is making me ill and my husband is suffering from depression. Brought on by us not being able tohave a form of heating other than storage heaters. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. Thank you.
Ivy - 21-Jan-19 @ 3:31 PM
Hi like to know if I would qualify for a grant loan to improve my home it's been empty for 4 years need to move back in.. But need lot of work doing
Shiz - 10-Jan-19 @ 7:21 PM
Hi my block has been here for way over 30 years. The insides have not been renovated for over 15 years the walls are terrible and the council are refusing to do anything about it my kitchen is in poor condition also.. Could someone contact me to help me please.
Michelle - 7-Jan-19 @ 4:05 PM
Hi I am up to my eyes in loans that I used to fix my house so I can live in it. I am 72 years old sold a house in good repair. Had what I thought would be enough to fix the house. Then I moved the carpet.Found fungi growing out of the floor and the walls.I replaced the windows with a loan. Now all my pension is tied up with the pay back. I was hoping that the roof would last till I had paid back the loans.But it will not see this winter out. Is there any way I can get some help to replace the roof that is made of Slate and probably is the original roof. The house is 100 years old inner terraced cottage. Single story. Thank you in advance all advice is greatly relieved. I am in receipt of DLA.Don't know if this makes a difference.
Anne - 13-Nov-18 @ 9:01 PM
My father is moving in to my own home and I need a ramp to be able to get him out from the house do you know of anyone that can help or advise. Kind regards barbaraPUT
Crazybarb64 - 24-Oct-18 @ 5:59 PM
I have a 1930's semi detached property, I have managed to do a lot of work to my house on my own without any help, I recently noticed large chunks of concrete coming into my loft, I have been advised to get a new roof, I have no savings at all, is there anyone who I could pay monthly to do this job. I also have a husband who has Somatoform Disorder with anxiety and panic attacks and it has actually made it worse do to the stress. Please help
Kiki - 17-Oct-18 @ 4:03 PM
Hi both myself and my son are disabled. I have been in my house for 18 years and need a new kitchen as it is worn and not practical now. My son is 16 and i am on dialysis how do i get help with getting a new kitchen. I am a home owner.
Pink - 3-Oct-18 @ 12:51 PM
Just wondering if I can get help with my guttering.And downpipe as it leaking and making all my walls wet at the back of my house.
Chunt - 22-Sep-18 @ 8:02 AM
Hi, my mother is 65 and her house has become in serious disrepair... the windows are over 30 years old now with big gaps and some of the handles are unrepairable. Dampness is firming in the bedrooms and the roof is in need of repair also. I am unable to help and no other family... she owns the property but became ill with arthritis some years ago. She is not registered disability but on benefits as she can’t work she has no savings and the draughty rooms I believe is always making her ill with bad colds. We are in Brighton area and have rang the local authority but they insist there is no help. If anyone has any information or number or help please answer... this is a true statement of fact. Please help.
Gill - 21-Mar-18 @ 9:49 PM
Jay - Your Question:
I would like to apply for a new roof, it's a council property but they just keep palming me off. I have a son on high care pip and high mobility he's 17 my husband works and is on a good wage. Would we be eligible

Our Response:
If the roof is not part of council's planned repair scheme it's unlikely that the housing department will sanction the work but as a landlord they are responsible for essential repairs. You could look into grants available in your are (try the Turn 2 Us website) but your husband's salary may restrict access to many grants.
GrantsExpert - 5-Feb-18 @ 2:11 PM
I would like to apply for a new roof, it's a council property but they just keep palming me off. I have a son on high care pip and high mobility he's 17 my husband works and is on a good wage . Would we be eligible
Jay - 2-Feb-18 @ 8:44 PM
Jane - Your Question:
Hi I have a little girl who I have grandinship off she 5yesr old a d she prasley blind I need help to make her Sife area has she need to Sife out side is there a grant to help me to do this

Our Response:
We're not sure which area you're fromso the easiest thing to do would be to check the Turn 2 Us website. You could also look into what you might receive from the Disabled faciltiies grant here
GrantsExpert - 13-Jun-17 @ 11:30 AM
Hi I have a little girl who I have grandinship off she 5yesr old a d she prasley blind I need help to make her Sife area has she need to Sife out side is there a grant to help me to do this
Jane - 10-Jun-17 @ 10:46 AM
MA - Your Question:
Hi. I am the landlord of one house and my tenant is a disabled lady. the kitchen is extended in the rear yard. and its made with single skin, which is causing a damp in it. can I have a grant to sort the damp or make it double skinned or sort the damp by any means. Please help/advice. Thanks

Our Response:
You should check with your local authority to see what grants are available for landlords with disabled tenants in your area.
GrantsExpert - 16-Jan-17 @ 12:09 PM
Hi. I am the landlord of one house and my tenant is a disabled lady. the kitchen is extended in the rear yard. and its made with single skin, which is causing a damp in it. can i have a grant to sort the damp or make it double skinned or sort the damp by any means. Please help/advice. Thanks
MA - 15-Jan-17 @ 4:29 PM
Looking for some help with replacing worn out nails which hold the slates in place on the roof am willing to repay if a fund out there will help us, anyone know of any it is our own house. and we are over both in our 70's
Trish - 29-May-16 @ 1:37 PM
I hav inherited a slum its uninhabitable can I get a grant to do it up so I can rent it to my stepdaughterYours truly Albert Neville
Albert - 15-Apr-16 @ 11:31 AM
I hav inherited a slum I want to do it up to rent to my step daughter can I get a grant. The house is uninhabitable at the momentA. Neville
Albert - 15-Apr-16 @ 11:21 AM
I am asking if any grants out there to bhelp with aroof replacement, my husband and I both in our 70s and have no savings which we could use other than taking out equity on our home which seemsa costly thing to do....had the roof estimated at 5000 any help would be appreciated ..thanking you
Trish - 9-Mar-16 @ 11:23 AM
Hi! My Reason for needing financial help. I'm Divorced and had to find a place to live fast, I have nice home, but it needs some repairs, new Windows, Roof is bubbled up, few missing shingles, from weather. gutters falling off due to bad winter and high winds. Cemented driveway, all cracked up. I'm on disability and make $971 a month, which amounts to $12.000 annually. I pay my basic bills and buy my groceries, and can't afford to repair the the things needing replaced, I would appreciate help if I can qualify, and willing to show proof of my income or anything else that needs done to qualify, thank you for reading my response of needing help.
Tammy - 24-Jun-15 @ 7:30 AM
Hi! Wondering if anyone could help us find out any more info about any help we would be able to recieve to get a terrace house in Bolton up to a rentable standard. After a few bad choices we have ended up with a house which has had to be ripped apart due to previous tenants without leases wrecking the inside. We now have a damp empty shell of a house without a bathroom or kitchen. My parents have a failing business abroad and urgently need rental from the property yet cannot afford the renovation costs to get this done. We estimate it will probably be around £8000-£10,000. We have successfully applied for council tax exemption as we were being forced into a debt situation with paying council tax on an empty home but now need to get the work done ASAP as the exemption isn't for long. We are very low on cash as we are in debt with the council already after not having leases fro previous tenants and are paying backdated council tax charges. Unfortunately we have emailed Bolton at home and have heard nothing back, maybe Bolton council don't offer any grants of his sort? Also this house does predate 1900. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Fi - 23-Jun-15 @ 9:39 AM
@otd. You could try one of the many ADHD organisations and charities such as:
ADHD Foundation
UK ADHD partnership
GrantsExpert - 18-Jun-15 @ 9:55 AM
Hi there. I have a son with ADHA and I am try 2 find out if I can get a grant or any thing 2 help with are fencingas most if not all are fencing. As fallen. Down. And we cant l let are son play. Out on his own. Just in case he goes. Off any where as we have a busy A16 road. At the back of are garden. Many thanks
otd - 13-Jun-15 @ 12:48 PM
@jj. Yes she may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant - this depends on her household income. The grant can be as much as £30,000 in England. Full details are here .
GrantsExpert - 18-Feb-15 @ 9:58 AM
My mom suffered a stroke a couple of years ago, she was very lucky to survive. She finds it very difficult to shower, we have to do it for her. We had a seat fitted to allow her to be swung over the bath which she still has to use. We wanted to know if there would be any grants/help to renovate the small bathroom so a walk in shower could be incorporated?
jj - 16-Feb-15 @ 4:06 PM
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice...
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments